Friday, March 9, 2012

Red Beans and Rice

 
I swear my mother made this meal quite a bit when we were kids. I love it its such a simple and cheap but amazing dinner. She learned the recipe from her mother. I really love it. I made it the other day and the kids loved it! 

Ingredients
1 bag red kidney beans
1 ham bone
1 pkg bacon, cut up
1 onion chopped
1/2 tbsp garlic salt

3c long grain rice
3tbsp oil
51/2c water

Method
Soak beans overnight
In a saucepan fry bacon with onion till a little browned and tender. Pour into crock pot grease and all. Add hambone, beans and fill with water, add plenty of salt. cook on high all day until beans are tender, soft melt in your mouth. make sure you have enough salt now.

Rice
In a large sauce/soup pan heat oil, add rice and coat rice in oil. Cook rice stirring constantly until golden brown, add water to pan cook until boiling, reduce heat to low and cover simmer until rice is tender. Serve beans over rice. I love to add Tabasco sauce to my bowl


No comments:

Post a Comment