Monday, January 7, 2013

Vegetarian Stuffed Bell Peppers






So I was a vegetarian for years, recently tainted, but for health reasons I will be going back. I will still post all of my meaty loving recipes as I cook it for my career. But the great part of me re finding my healthy body I will make most of the recipes a vegetarian version so those who cook for both can do so in ONE meal. These stuffed bell Peppers are simple and good. When I make them I don't use a rice mix I use regular white rice, I added the mix here for a easy student or busy mom version So if you have the extra time measure out your liquid and add half the rice.

Ingredients
1 Package Spanish Rice Mix or Plain Rice
Bell Peppers; Large, any color
1/2c Chopped Green Bell Pepper
1/2c Chopped Yellow Onion 
1 can Stewed Tomatoes, Mexican Recipe
1 1/2c Water
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce 
Red Pepper Flakes, optional
Soy Cheese, optional
Plain, Gelatin-free yogurt, optional
Water

Method
Preheat oven to 300°F 
Chop green pepper and onion and add to medium saucepan. Press juice from the stewed tomato can and add to saucepan (this should yield about 1/2 cup). Chop tomatoes into smaller pieces and add to saucepan. Pour packaged rice mix into saucepan and add red pepper flakes if desired. Add 1 1/2 cups water and stir ingredients well.
Turn heat to medium-high until contents reaches a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cover. Cook rice for 7 minutes or until it becomes tender. Let the mixture stand approximately 2-3 minutes.
While the rice mixture is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Chop tops off of remaining bell peppers and clean out all seeds. Drop them one at a time into the boiling water. Cook for 3-4 minutes depending on desired tenderness. Remove from water and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to cool 4-5 minutes and top with yogurt if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment