Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Amish Country Cabbage dish

 

When I drove from Minnesota to California I stopped in St. Louis at the arc there is a museum at the bottom. I found these wonderful cookbooks there. One of the few I bought was an Amish cooking cookbook. I have thumbed through many times. But never made anything. Lately I have heard of how great Amish food is so I started to research Amish cooking and dishes. I found many different cabbage and meat recipes. So I decided to make up my own one that fits my family's taste. I came up with one that was very similar to a Jewish dish that I make called Prakas. This meal was so simple but yet so amazing. It's a very hearty meal. My husband had 3 helpings. It's easy to make it vegetarian as well. I'm going to try some recipes in my book. 
I'm glad I was looking the Amish way. 

Ingredients
1lb ground turkey or hamburger
1 onion
1 clove garlic chopped
2tbsp butter 
14oz stewed tomatoes 
8oz tomato sauce
1/2 cabbage chopped
Salt and pepper
1tsp smoked paprika
1tsp brown sugar
1tbsp Worcester sauce

Mashed potatoes

Method
Chop onion and garlic and cabbage



Brown ground meat with salt, pepper paprika and onions, 


Drain grease
Add garlic, butter, cabbage 


Tomatoes, sauce, brown sugar and Worcester sauce 



Stir well, simmer 



and cover turn down heat and cook for about 20 min until cabbage is soft.



Serve over mashed potatoes yum



To make vegetarian omit meat cook same method. Yum!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment