Monday, October 31, 2011

Spring Rolls (cha gio)














When I was a teenager my mother and I would go and eat Vietnamese food quite frequently. It is so fresh and good. I have included my favorites all together. You should make all of them together and enjoy all of them. If you are making just these spring rolls you must make the table salad to be eaten with them. I use a lumpia paper when I make the rolls, its easier then the rice paper.

Ingredients
2oz dried cellophane noodles
1oz dried cloud ear mushroom
1lb ground pork
1 medium yellow onion minced
1 large clove of garlic minced
1 carrot peeled and grated
1 egg
Salt&P
Triangular Rice papers or lumpia
Veg oil for frying
Table Salad

Method
Soak noodles and mushrooms in lukewarm water and cover until rehydrated. Drain and squeeze to rid excess water. Finely chop and put into a mixing bowl. Add pork, onion, garlic, carrot, egg and season with S&P. Mix all together with hands until well combined. If using rice papers, soak until pliable. blot with clean towel so not wet. Or use lumpia. Place 1tsp filling 1 inch from rounded edge, fold wrapper over filling, then fold in sides and continue rolling tightly till point end (triangle) Heat oil to 360° over medium high heat. fry on all sides 3-5 min, keeping them clear of each other. Drain on paper towel. Serve with table salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment