Saturday, October 19, 2013

BFB Big F Biscuits



The biscuits I have made so many. I really never found a good recipe out there. They all seem dry, flat or maybe it was just me. I don't know but this morning I was really wanting biscuits and gravy. I started prepping and realized I did not have 3 cups of AP flour. Ok but see I really wanted this so being that I would have everything else I scrounged up a cup of the flour and some cake flour and self rising flour and took a bash at it. I altered the shortening as always and I tell you these biscuits are the ones you have been looking for. 

Let me give you a few tips before you start. 

Make sure that your CUBED butter shortening and buttermilk are chilled, COLD. Chilled will make the biscuits fluffier.

Do the least mixing possible 

Try to use a Pastry Cutter if you don't have one use a fork to incorporate butter to dry ingredients. 


Ingredients

1c self rising flour

1c cake flour

1c AP Flour

5tsp baking powder

3tbsp sugar

1 1/2tsp salt

1/2tsp baking soda

1/4c chilled butter cubed

1/4c chilled shortening

1c cold buttermilk or (1c cream or milk plus 1tbsp cider vinegar. let sit to activate.)


Method

Chill butter, shortening and buttermilk. Mix together the dry ingredients.

 Cut in the butter and shortening with a pastry cutter or a fork.

Add in the buttermilk and mix together until it just comes together like peas with your hands. Do not overwork, be gentle, you really want to work it as minimal as possible. The dough should not be wet but slightly sticky. 

  

I just mold it and pat it out or roll out at least 1' thick and cut with 2-3 inch circle cutters or a drinking glass. 


On the stovetop melt a tablespoon of butter, in a cast Iron skillet to arrange your biscuits in.



 








You should have like 8-10 biscuits and they should all be touching this will help them to rise upwards.. 


Brush the tops with butter or cream. Bake at 450 for 12-15 min. Golden brown and Fluffy. 











I love them warm  with honey, jam or sausage gravy. Biscuits and Gravy Recipe link 





No comments:

Post a Comment