Friday, April 6, 2012

Panang





When I moved to Seattle it was the first great experience with Thai food. Colorado is no the place for good Thai. I had dinner with a friend at his favorite Thai Restaurant, Siam's in Capitol Hill. On the menu was a dish I was captivated by. Beef Panang. Curry, coconut milk, I was sold. I got the dish and I have never ordered anything else from a Thai restaurant. When I became a vegetarian I had the dish with fried tofu instead of the beef and it was truly as amazing as ever. I have been trying to make this dish for years, closer I get every time. I took a bash at it the other day and nailed it. As good as the best restaurants I have had it at.

Ingredients
1 1/2c beef, pork fillet or tenderloin, thinly sliced or tofu lightly browned
2c  thick coconut milk
4tbsp panang or red curry paste
2tbsp palm sugar
1tbsp fish sauce
7 kaffir lime leaves - 3 torn into pieces, discarding the stem and 4 finely shredded
1/2 cup fresh Thai basil
1 big red chili, sliced
4tbsp roasted ground peanuts(optional)
2 bell peppers sliced

Method
Put half of the thick coconut milk into a wok and fry for 3-5 minutes, stirring continuously, until the coconut oil begins to separate out. Then add the panang curry paste and fry for 1-2 minutes. Once the paste is cooked add the meat and bell peppers and cook until the outside of the meat is cooked. Then add the rest of the thick coconut milk and bring to the boil. Simmer and add the palm sugar along the side of the wok until it melts and then and add the fish sauce and kaffir lime leaf pieces. Stir to combine and then add half the basil leaves.  Simmer and Serve over sticky rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment