Monday, January 30, 2012

Shepard's Pie

I love Shepard's pie. what a great hearty home cooked meal.  So easy so delicious. I don't remember anyone ever making this when I was a kid. I think that maybe I first tried it with my step mother. I have looked at many recipes and tried it many ways. I even cooked it the proper way with lamb, that was great, but for an easy take on this classic dish you can use hamburger. Whatever you do it will be great.

Ingredients
1lb hamburger
1/2 onion
3 cloves of garlic minced or pressed
Garlic Salt
2tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1tsp thyme
1/2tbsp brown sugar
4 carrots
1 can tomato paste
2c beef or chicken stock
1/3c red wine
1 12oz bag of Frozen peas
6c mashed potatoes
Cheese to top

Method
Brown ground beef in pan with garlic, onions and carrots. Add spices and cook until meat is browned. Add chicken stock and tomato paste and mix and simmer. Add Worcestershire and wine, simmer for a few minutes until mixture has thickened some. Add frozen peas and put mixture into an oven safe casserole dish. Put mashed potatoes on top and add a layer of cheese. Bake in 350° oven for 20 minutes or until cheese melts and filling starts to bubble out.

No comments:

Post a Comment